Beef Cattle Fertility

The objective of this study was to determine factors of sperm structure that influence fertility within bulls. We hypothesized that as the mitochondrial sheath on the tail lengthens, the increased energy production of the sperm cell would impact bull fertility. In the results of this study, we found a positive correlation between the mitochondrial sheath length and the fertility rates of bulls, indicating that mitochondrial sheath structure influences fertility.

Grace Wileys complete research forum posterThis poster was prepared for presentation at the Undergraduate Research Day at the Capitol, which was unfortunately cancelled this year. I am grateful for the opportunity for my poster to be published in the Artifacts Summer 2020 edition.

Grace Wiley Headshot for profile info

I am from Springfield, MO where I participated in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program. This coming May I will receive my bachelor’s of science in Biochemistry and minors in Animal Science and Captive Wildlife Animal Management. After I graduate I plan to attend graduate school to obtain a degree in reproductive physiology. In my free time I enjoy scuba diving, practicing yoga, and running.